What Is Pediatric Physical Therapy?
“Isn’t physical therapy just for athletes and adults in recovery?” Nope! Sometimes, children and even babies need physical therapy, too. Pediatrics can include any ages, from infancy to pre-teens.
The most common diagnoses that would benefit from a referral to Marlboro Physical Therapy, are
- Muscle weakness or imbalances
- Post fractures
- Post surgical
- Muscle Sprains & Strains
- Brachial Plexus injuries
- Mild Neurological Impairments
- Recovery from sports- and non-sports-related injuries
- Delays in development, such as a child who should be walking
- Not hitting the milestones for their age
- Poor coordination and/or motor planning
How Physical Therapy Can Help?
Physical therapists can help kids improve their range of motion, strength, flexibility, and movement patterns. They also help improve gross motor skills (tasks that involve large muscle groups, like walking and throwing) by encouraging kids to do things like:
- Play on large exercise balls to build strength
- Run/hop around to improve their coordination
- Balance on a balance beam
- Stand on one foot
The goal? Help children move their bodies how and when they want to the best of their abilities. Physical therapists help make everyday activities easier for kids.
What Will My Child Do In A Physical Therapy Session?
For the most part, physical therapy sessions should look and feel like play. The physical therapist will engage kids with fun, age-appropriate games and activities to keep them motivated and happy. (Kids should have fun, but physical therapy can be hard work!)
For more information, please feel free to call or contact us. Our team is made up of enthusiastic, hands-on providers who offer a comprehensive range of services. We look forward to giving you the care you deserve.